Matthäus Merian described this event in 1642 as follows: "In 1430 the Hussites from Bohemia attacked / Culmbach and Barreut / and committed great acts of cruelty / like wild animals / against the common people / and certain individuals.
/ The priests / monks and nuns they either burnt at the stake / or took them onto the ice of lakes and rivers / (in Franconia and Bavaria) and doused them with cold water / and killed them in a deplorable way / as Boreck reported in the Bohemian Chronicle, page 450" By 1528, less than ten years after the start of the Reformation, the lords of the Frankish margrave territories switched to the Lutheran faith.
In 1716 a princely porcelain factory was established in St. The first 'castle' in the park of the Hermitage was built at this time by Margrave George William (1715–1719).
Please use another Browser It looks like you are using a browser that is not fully supported.
The town of Bayreuth developed slowly and was affected time and again by disasters.
As early as 1361 Emperor Charles IV had conferred on Burgrave Frederick V the right to mint coins for the towns of Bayreuth and Kulmbach. In February 1430, the Hussites devastated Bayreuth and the town hall and churches were razed.
One can therefore assume that Bayreuth was awarded its town charter between 12.
The town was ruled until 1248 by the counts of Andechs-Merania.
In 1735 a nursing home, the so-called Gravenreuth Stift, was founded by a private foundation in St. The cost of the building exceeded the funds of the foundation, but Margrave Frederick came to their aid.
Bayreuth experienced its Golden Age during the reign (1735–1763) of Margrave Frederick and Margravine Wilhelmina of Bayreuth, the favourite sister of Frederick the Great.
After they died out in 1260 the burgraves of Nuremberg from the House of Hohenzollern took over the inheritance.
Initially, however, their residence and the centre of the territory was the castle of Plassenburg in Kulmbach.
His successor, the Crown Prince and later Margrave, George William, began in 1701 to establish the then independent town of St Georgen am See (today, the district of St Georgen) with its castle, the so-called Ordensschloss, a town hall, a prison and a small barracks.