In 1738 John Wesley paid his first visit to Holmes Chapel whilst on route from Oxford to Manchester.
He rested and preached a sermon at the Red Lion Inn. was the initials of Thomas Bayley Hall, the last member of the Hall family at The Hermitage.
In the 1930's Benger's Food company moved to Holmes Chapel from Manchester.Part of this site is now earmarked for the construction of a supermaket and petrol station, with housing applications already approved for another part.Holmes Chapel is still quite compact and green fields can be reached within a mile of the centre in any direction.Furthermore it has retained its character as a village with a central parish church, several pubs and a good range of private shops.Holmes Chapel has developed from a small village at a cross roads on the main route from London to Lancashire, catering for travellers at its inns and serving the surrounding farming community.
In its infancy it was known as Church Hulme but has also been known as Hulmes Chapel.
In 1753 the village consisted of nineteen buildings, but in July of that year, fifteen were destroyed by fire; the Church, the Old Red Lion and two cottages survived.
Hence, most of the village buildings are no older than the 18th century.
That is how it remained for many years with gradual development along the four arms of the crossroads.
The Square is now part of a conservation area which reaches from the mini roundabouts on the north side of the village to approximately Entwistle Green and the carpet shop.
Much of the development after the fire was paid for by the principal land owners, the Hall family, who lived at The Hermitage. Thomas Bayley Hall's estates were sold to various people after his death in 1828.